Friday, January 16, 2015

Practice Practice Practice

As the February Bar Exam gets closer the panic starts to set in.  I remember feeling like I just could not possibly remember all of the rules so I focused on rote memorization of outlines and flash cards which I now submit was a huge mistake.  In the four levels of learning (rote, understanding, application and correlation) I realized that the more I understood the material the easier it was to apply the information.  For this reason, inter alia, I encourage everyone who is studying for the Bar Exam to place the emphasis on practicing exams, particularly Essays under timed conditions.  If and when you elect to do so, develop an approach that works for you.  For example, first read the call of the question, then read the question for understanding, then read again for issue spotting, review the call of the question one more time and finally outline the question.  This is just one example of an approach so develop an approach that works for you and stick with it.  I cannot overemphasize the importance of outlining.  It will not come easy for many of you at first but if you practice, practice, practice, you will succeed in passing the Bar Exam next month.  Good Luck!

No comments: